Monday, December 5, 2011


We usually have travel days on Monday, like today.
I realized I like travel days for this one and only reason: I feel like I am moving forward.  Which is funny, because if you were to plot all the cities we go to on a map (like someone did last year) you would see that we are just traveling in circles.
And, after only one week of performances down, the feeling of progression couldn’t be more welcomed.  Even with a break, it feel as though we haven’t missed a beat with the show.  We basically picked up where we left off.  We are now on month 10 of the show.  
Brent put it pretty well when he said, “I don’t know my mom’s phone number or my parent’s address, but put that music on and I will do exactly the right steps.”  Sad or not, this is the truth.  So it feels a bit (as in, it feels a lot) like it is back to groundhog’s day. 
But let’s stick with the travel for a second. I have learned from last year.  Learned from my mistakes, and just learned in general. I have learned to not care which bus I am on (there are two,) who is on my bus (because who cares?) who has saved seats for whom (because no one has for me, so it’s none of my business,) and if I am the first off the bus to check in to the hotel (because, let’s be honest, the hotels aren’t usually gems, so we don’t need to make a mad dash to confirm this.)  
Most importantly, I learned to come prepared with DVDs.  And this has made my life all the better.  Not only do I feel as though I am moving forward in space, but I am moving forward in the Ugly Betty (television show) plot line.  Double the false sense of productivity.
There are other things I have learned from last year’s tour.  Other things I am incorporating into my tour “re-do.”
For one, I learned that I like some alone time.  I like exploring a new city by myself, getting the lay of the land without relying on others, and only having to confer with myself whether I want to go left, right, or straight at the next intersection. So, another goal on tour:  having a balance of being with people, and being by myself.  
I also learned that it is really stressful to worry if a group of 50 people “like you,” not to mention completely self-centered.  I don’t plan on tripping my co-workers on the ice, or purposely stepping on any crew guy’s foot while wearing my skates.  I realize that shouldn’t merit likability, but at least I can go to bed knowing I am not evil at heart.
Something else, a small thing, I learned from last year:  never check to see if your blades are dull.  Guess what? They are.  Between skating on poor ice conditions, feathers and sequins, and running around on carpet or the accidental piece of cement, they will become dull. So, not so much a goal as a new rule:  I will not check my blades.  I will go as long as I can before getting them sharpened, and I am guessing “as long as I can” means skate until I fall 90% of the show.  
Hope no one is watching when that day comes.

5 comments:

  1. Exploring a new place alone is such a wonderful treat. I wandered to a new part of London every day when I spent two weeks there in June, and I wouldn't trade those quiet moments on busy streets for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clearly I had to type this comment again so it won't be exactly the same :P I love that you are going to be yourself, because yourself is a beautiful, amazing person that I'm so thankful I had the opportunity to get to know better this year. If people don't like you, they aren't worth you knowing because you are wonderful. I'm so glad that you are blogging, because it allows me to kind of live through your adventures ;) Keep it up xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only wish I was there to high-five (and snap my fingers while walking really low in the knees) for all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great!! I always feel like I gain so much perspective on myself and how I see the world when I travel or am in unfamiliar situations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell Brent not to worry if he doesn't know his parents address...they learn everything about what's going on with him from my Facebook PAGE! LOL! Also there is a benefit in NOT being by yourself...afterall who would be there to take a million photos of you?!?!? I wise woman once said...YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete