Monday, January 23, 2012

Vienna. Part Two.


Vienna, part two.
Brent and I are leaving Vienna, broke and exhausted.
I think we did Vienna right.
After my family and friends left, I was determined to keep the bar of activity level right where they had left it, which was high.  

I thought, "Hey, I will pretend I am one of those professional travel show hosts.  I will go around and try different things, see different sights, and find the cool local spots, all in a matter of days, even hours." Easy.
And after one week of this, two things dawned on me.
First, these professional travel guides probably don’t do it solely on their own dime.
And second, they probably don’t also do an ice skating show or two each day.
Nonetheless, it was worth it.  Very worth it.
So, here is a run down of what was accomplished in Vienna, week 2.
-The Rene Magritte exhibit at the Albertina.
Beautiful steps outside



Thought-provoking art inside.
-The Klimt/Hoffman exhibit at the Belvedere.
-Pilobolus “Shadowland” performance at the Museumquairters.
-Phil.  Again.  And then again.  Yes, it is that good.  Try the falafel.
-Cafe di Castello.  Again.  This time for breakfast (try the egg toast with green beans and pistachios) and to leave a little note for Michael in this book:
See, we know he will miss us this week and need something to cheer him up.
-Dancing at the swanky Volksgarten.  But not so swanky that they wouldn’t let me in wearing Vans (it was a 12 euro cover, so I guess beggars--them-- couldn’t really be footwear choosers.)
-Prater.  The Coney Island of Vienna.
-Onyx bar.  A unique and surprisingly beautiful view of the St. Stephan’s church roof.

-MAK cafe.  Best place to recycle an old bottle.  Notice the chandelier:

-Dots experimental sushi.
-Vestibul restaurant.  For fancy desserts and very friendly service.  I got the chef’s autograph!
-Common People clothing store in the 7th district.  For common people, like myself and Kathrin.
-Klein’s cafe.  Small.  Good food.  Good music.  Feels like an established old school cafe for the less traditional.
A Klein’s menu.  Notice the stack of CDs in the background.
-Yellow restaurant.  Exceptional asian food across from the Westbanhof.
-And, because we just had to....the Eistraum in front of the Rathaus.  SO fun and absolutely one of the top then things to do in Vienna.
When I was doing my "European stroll," which is what I call getting lost while listening to some music, I came across this graffiti:

Three aliens, or some other outer space creatures and the words "Welcome...Life."  Either they are saying "welcome, life forms" or "Welcome Life!"  Definitely the former makes sense, but I decided to go with the latter.  I decided to welcome life this past week.  And it was awesome.

Now, as we fly from Vienna to San Jose for the U.S. Championships (woo woo) I have a new motto:

                Welcome........

Nap

1 comment:

  1. Lovely that you got to see so much Vienna, even if you didn't have a swanky travel show funding the budget! I am a little jealous about the Magritte exhibit, he's a favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete