Monday, February 20, 2012




This city hasn’t been much to write home about.  A lot of buildings look like this:

Or like this:
Which has been a bit of a bummer, because in order to survive this madness here (and not have to deal with too much “bullsh*t” from myself,) I have to find a good balance between resting and saving money and getting out and enjoying the city.
Since there is not much to see or do, I’ve lost my balance this week.  And it doesn’t feel good.  
It feels a little like a hangover.  Or an upset stomach.  I haven’t decided.
The one saving grace this city has been a small record store I found a few blocks from the hotel.
Just as I had been thinking about my resolution to buy records instead of CDs, I walked right past this store.  At first I decided not to go in, because it seems a bit unnecessary to start collecting records while essentially backpacking through Europe.
But then I changed my mind.  And walked back. 
Inside I met Andreas, who seemed to be the sole owner/worker of the store.  He mentioned that he was shipping a record to Virginia, an East German print of a Whitney Houston album (still can’t believe it.)
I was fascinated by this special East German something he was talking about.  Andreas explained that East Germany had their own special label, called AMIGA.  The albums usually involve simpler designs, because there wasn’t enough money to have lots of different colored inks, and the prices listed on the albums are listed in East German marks.
I thought this was way too cool, so I bought another copy of the Whitney Houston album he was shipping (still heartbroken) and a very simple-looking Beatles album.
Then I went back the next day and bought a Madonna album, Bruce Springsteen album and an album by The Police.  
And Andreas threw in a bonus album by an East German band called Puhdys, but one where they sing in English.  Thoughtful!
And there you have it.  My Zwickau highlight.


Goodbye Zwickau.  Dresden, you're up next!

2 comments:

  1. Good thing you are buying albums. I hate to think about Mark's records, baking and freezing in a Philly storage unit, they probably look like Dali paintings by now. Make sure to pick up the Turbonegro catalog while you are there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Mark is particularly sad about how destroyed his Madonna "True Blue" album is by now, so good thing I picked up another copy ;)

    ReplyDelete