Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Help Me Get Married!


I never have and never will be able to write about anything political, for two reasons:  
First, I do not understand politics. I would have better luck writing about ice skating in a foreign language.  
Second, and 100% related, my brain is very small.
However, sometimes political issues or events will trigger my small brain, which mainly thinks about me-related things and tonight the passing of North Carolina’s Amendment 1 has done that.
I always say that I am missing some sort of gene, the “I want to get married” gene, because I just don’t have the desire to get married.
I was told I would want to get married when I met the right person.  This is false.  I have met the right person.
Also, I have almost zero fear of commitment.  Because of skating, that is one of the few things I do well.  I can commit.
And here is the truth, missing gene or not:
I want to want to get married.
All I need is someone to talk me into it.    
Here is my obstacle:
I have an aversion to exclusivity.  I typically end up on the losing side of that coin.  And right now, marriage seems to be an ever increasing exclusive club.
And what is crazy is that I can totally join the club.  Here is something I do not have to qualify for (unlike, say, the Olympics) or attend school to do (unlike being in any high school club) or even have a hint of a butt to be in (unlike getting inducted into the “a boy tried to grab my butt at the middle school dance” club.)
I don’t even have to prove religious dedication or ability to procreate, though these seem to be essential to the club.
I just lucked out that my parts are different from my boyfriend’s parts.  
Luck.  
Luck is my “get into marriage free” card.  A card I just made up that this exclusive club just might use (but pretty sure they don’t because I know a lot of married people, including my parents, and I feel like something like that would be up on the fridge.)
So, what do I do?
Do I take my luck and just figure I am due some good luck at some point, like, “Hey! I didn’t win the one lotto I played, so I am owed this!”
Do I just shrug my shoulders and point at a gay friend’s crotch and say, “Tough luck. By the way, I am registered at Crate & Barrel.”
Seriously, what do I do?
I have all the makings for a marriage.  I have the desire to spend the rest of my life with a certain someone, I have the plan to, I have good commitment skills, and, I got luck.
So, what do I do?

6 comments:

  1. Awesome, awesome blog post! Equal parts humor-veiled anger...and sarcasm. That exclusivity, thing, by the way...? It's really not generated by preservation of sanctity of anything--just in case you were wondering. (Just ask Kim Kardashian...who, by the way, supports same-sex marriage.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could move to Iowa. Then you don't need to feel guilty about it (well not currently, but I suppose it is always in danger). At least as long as you keep your marriage in state.

    Plus we could really use some good ice dance coaches...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post Kim :) My best friend Bonnie recently told me that she won't marry her fiance until I am able to do the same with my partner.

    Funny story, Bonnie and myself were doing an ice show at Bally's Grand in Atlantic City in 89' and Stevie Nicks and Don Henley were playing there as well in the outdoor venue and he invited all the showgirls to an after concert party but NOT the boys. She boycotted that event as well! lol

    Thanks for your support Kim.....it means a lot.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim! I love your blog! (Thanks, Chuck for the introduction.)

    Could I mention it and link it on my blog?

    I'm using your posts on Dresden and Berlin as research ahead of my next visit there. I'm also looking forward to reading about what comes next for you, which doesn't sound like more ice shows. Thanks again for the great insight on your blog - Jenny at Ice Charades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny- Absolutely! And certainly pass on any questions you have about Dresden and Berlin. Those are two cities I really enjoyed!

      Delete
  5. Kim,

    The best reason to get married is that it is your demographic destiny. Paraphrasing the referenced analysis of the Pew Research Center's Social and Demographic Trends project analysis of sixty years of Census data (http://goo.gl/Shd9), given that you are getting older and are college educated, you are more likely to become married. It is your destiny; or at least it is a statistical likelihood.

    Also, there are clear economic benefits to getting married, the study finds, with higher average income in married couples and a more successful marriage. In a nod to the current craze in American political discourse, I'll cite that finding, take the inverse of the argument, and extrapolate it to reach a ridiculous conclusion: if you don't get married, you'll wind up toothless, poor, and with dozens of poorly behaved children who will be a drag on society. Do you really want that? There's no way I'd let Violet hang out with your gaggle of little rednecks.

    In all seriousness, it is a disgrace that gay marriage is 'illegal' in CA. I am currently on paid family leave (part-time) caring for Violet. It is like living in Sweden, but the weather and wine are so much better. We also have state-sanctioned discrimination against gay couples. Like it or not, marriage has been ceded to the states, and my only hope is that the Supreme Court comes to its senses and strikes down prop 8, then your conscience will be clear when you succumb to destiny and get married.

    ReplyDelete